Position: Senior Business Analyst (term contract position)
Gates Archive, a private archive located in the greater Seattle area, is the trusted custodian of the philanthropic and personal archival collections of the Gates family. Gates Archive is currently seeking candidates for a Senior Business Analyst. This is a full-time, contract position for 2019 (subject to renewal) requiring a robust background investigation. The Business Analyst will report to the Manager of Archive Solutions.
The Business Analyst will be responsible for analysis and coordination across a broad portfolio of programs. To do this, they will act as a primary interface to users, subject matter experts, and managers to create certainty out of ambiguity while having a firm grasp over operational and technical aspects of each program.
The Business Analyst will work with the archive team to manage and document output of solution design and specifications processes and support project implementations and continuous improvement initiatives. The Business Analyst will collaborate with staff throughout the project lifecycle to ensure that the delivered solutions meet business needs; develop technical documentation and reports; manage and support solution and data analysis and design processes; analyze and interpret workflow and systems information in support of the organization’s mission.
• Support software development and business projects including: development of a layer to integrate metadata and content from core systems to support access; and development of a mechanism to harvest content from a digital asset management system for long-term preservation.
• Translate requirements into solution documentation such as functional specifications, workflow diagrams and user stories.
• Collaborate with project team members on system design; validate that design conforms to functional specifications.
Requirements Elicitation, Definition, and Capture
• Facilitate and document outputs of design meetings and analysis – this will include a focus on data flow, matching, and loading mechanisms.
• Elicit business requirements through design workshops, stakeholder interviews, data and document analysis, storyboards, etc.
• Analyze, organize and synthesize requirements into relevant business and data analysis deliverables.
Business Analysis and Project Coordination
• Perform business and technical analysis to identify and define present and future business processes.
• Analyze relevant business information and data to support decision making.
• Define and collect metrics; build reports to support operational performance.
• Support the development of business cases to justify project investments.
• Assist in project management for technology projects
Implementation and Continuous Improvement Support
• Support development of system and infrastructure documentation, including system guides, process flows, and end user training materials.
• Collaborate with archive staff to capture operational metrics and develop reports that meet business needs
• Support the development of system test scenarios and test conditions.
• Participate in system and solution testing to confirm business requirements.
• Proven problem-solving skills, project management skills, attention to detail, and organizational skills
• Ability to work independently or collaboratively within a team
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Familiarity with user-centered and iterative design methods
• Experience writing technical documentation and performing business and technical requirements gathering
• Ability to identify opportunities to improve performance and efficiencies of existing systems and processes
• Experience conducting business process analysis
• Proficient with Windows Operating System, Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio
Preferred Skills and Education:
• Information science coursework
• Experience with application testing and release management processes
• Familiarity with workflow management (e.g., ServiceNow) and project management tools
• Experience with developing reports and statistics in Excel, Microsoft Power BI and/or Tableau
• Experience with surfacing and analyzing data in SQL and/or other relational databases
Point of contact for application: Interested candidates should submit their resume and a short cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Supervisor name: Sally Vermaaten